Summary: Google Tag Manager is an indispensable tool for any digital marketing team. It’s a free, all-in-one solution that helps marketers easily manage website tags and create data reports in one place. This article will take you through how Google Tag Manager WordPress works with WordPress to help you better understand the basic concepts behind this powerful application.
What is Google Tag Manager (GTM)?
Google Tag Manager (GTM) is an easy-to-use Google tool that makes it simple to manage and deploy your analytics or marketing tags. It also provides a user interface for when you need code snippets like tracking scripts, HTML filtering rules, etc.
GTM WordPress Plugin Features:
- Automatically adds the GTM code to your website.
- Supports multiple containers for different tags, triggers, and variables!
What is Google Tag Manager used for?
Google Tag Manager brings with it many advantages that will help you run a more efficient business –
- It has a user interface that collects data and reports on it so you can easily see how your marketing campaign is going.
- You have the ability to create triggers for when certain events happen, allowing you to tailor your tracking scripts accordingly.
- The codes are cleaner because Google Tag Manager makes them look like
- You eliminate the need to worry about cross-browser compatibility.
How does Google Tag Manager work with WordPress?
You might have noticed that GTM doesn’t work well when you’re hosting your site on a different platform, like WordPress. This is because it needs to inject code into the header of your website before any content loads in order for its tracking scripts to work.
How to integrate Google Tag Manager WordPress?
The following are instructions with basic steps that will help you integrate Google Tag Manager WordPress:
- Open up the plugin from your dashboard
- – You will need to have a GTM account first
- – Enter your container ID (the number in the URL)
- – Enter your GTM account number and API key
*Click on Save Settings to save all changes. Now you’re ready for action!
** To find your container ID
– Open up your GTM account
– Click on Settings
– You will see a box where you can enter a Container ID. Enter this and click on Save! It’s that easy.
How to add GTM WordPress code snippets?
- Look for the little arrow on the left side of your dashboard where it says “Apps.” Click this and you’ll see a list. Find and click Google Tag Manager (WordPress) from here. You should then see all the code snippets
- Click the script you want to add
- Make sure your container ID, GTM account number, and API key are entered. If not, enter that information into the boxes below it! This is located on Settings in Google Tag Manager.
- Click on the Save Draft button
* When it’s finished, click Publish at the top of your dashboard.
What basic data does Google Tag Manager include?
– Click on Dashboard to find your metrics and information about what’s happening with your website. You’ll be able to see how many people are clicking, where they’re coming from if there has been any bounce rates or conversion rates
– Click on Reports to find data about the page views, events that occurred, and more
* You’ll be able to see all of these statistics in a much more organized fashion for your business. There’s also an option at the bottom left portion of this screen where you can change filters or toggle from short form
How to pin a tag on your GTM container?
– Go back into Settings in Google Tag Manager
– Click the Container tab and you will see all of the tags that are currently being used. Find the one you want and click Pin To Top if it is not already pinned there. Click the Save Changes button to finish.
How to create a new GTM tag?
- Click on the Container tab and you will see all of your tags. Find the one that is currently being used for Google Tag Manager (WordPress) and click Create New Tag in the top right corner of the screen. You’ll see a screen open up
– Enter the name of your tag and click Save. You will now see it in the list on this page
* Clicking on Edit Tags next to where you just created your new GTM Tag, you’ll be able to edit information about it or delete altogether if necessary with ease!
How to delete a GTM tag?
- Go back into Settings in Google Tag Manager and click on Delete Tags. Find the one that you want deleted, then click on it. This will give you an option of deleting or editing this specific tab first before clicking Save Changes at the bottom
* This will remove the tag from your Google Tag Manager (WordPress) container.
– Click on Delete Tags again and it’ll prompt you to delete more tags! You can do this as many times as necessary until all of your tags have been removed.
How to edit a GTM tag?
– Go back into Settings in Google Tag Manager and click on Edit Tags. Find the one that you want to be edited, then click on it. You will now see all of the information about this specific tab including its ID, name,
* Select what type you want from this menu and click Save Changes at the bottom left portion of the screen
What is a GTM Trigger?
* Select what type you want from this menu and click Save Changes at the bottom left
What is a GTM Variable?
- Google Tag Manager WordPress has Variables that help you customize your experience for individual users. This will provide the ability to create different tags and triggers, even if they have the same ID! You can find this option in Settings under Variables
– Click on Variables again to see more options! You can do this as many times as necessary until all of your variables have been removed. You’ll now be able to create a new variable by clicking Create New
* Fill in the fields on this page and click Save.
– Find your new variable in Settings under Variables, then edit it by clicking Edit Variable. You’ll now be able to change all of the information about this specific Variable including its ID, name, type (text or number) as well as any.
* Select what type you want from this menu and click Save Changes at the bottom
– Click on Variables again to see more options! You can do this as many times as once necessary until all of your variables have been removed.
Setting up Google Tag Manager can be a complicated process, but it does have the potential to help you with your analytics and marketing efforts. We hope this blog post has helped give you some context on what we think is one of the most powerful tools in digital marketing today. If you want to know more about how our team at Braintrust Digital Marketing can help make use of GTM for optimizing conversion rates or just need someone who understands these concepts better than yourself, contact us now!
Also read : WordPress bug fixing
Follow us on Facebook